oldschoolvdub
Cool Member

Lady Bugs... Are they available for purchase?

When I was a kid, my dad had a garden going, and we would go to the local nursery or hardware store, and they would always sell lady bugs in a little mesh box. He always bought them saying that they would eat all the pests. I never seem to see this anymore, and am not sure if this actually works. If it does, does anyone know where to find them now?

Aaron

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I've never seen the mesh boxes but you can order lady bug beetles on line, either the adults or the larvae. They are efficient predators of aphids and other garden pests.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I reckon over this side of the pond we have a better name for these little beauties....we call them Ladybirds.
The kids have a nursery rhyme that begins
Ladybird, Ladybird fly away home
Your house is on fire, your children alone.........

Ring any bells over there?

Jona.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

YUP! I grew up calling them lady birds and with the exact same little nursery rhyme except we used to say "your house is on fire, your children will burn" Gruesome now that I look at it, but a lot of children's culture is.
I grew up in California... interesting how the children's culture is so much the same when the grown up culture is very different.

mygardenau
Newly Registered

Huh, fancy having a market for ladybirds. We have them free in my garden. They are such a loved little bug eh :D
[img]https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e170/mysnakesau/My%20Garden/P1020739.jpg[/img]

plantkiller

I saw some for just a few dollars at a local ace hardware, almost bought them.

Does anyone know if the fact I have been spraying neem oil every weekend will deter the ladybugs? I'm thinking they may "hunt" elsewhere.

SP8
Green Thumb

I've always known them as Lady-Beetles..... But yeah they're great!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”