Julie C
Newly Registered

Can I use Baby Bio on my baskets and tubs?

I have petunias, busy lizzies, lobelia and ivy in my baskets and tubs in the garden and they are looking a bit sorry for themselves. I don't know if this is due to all the rain and wind that we've had or too much or too little water (we've had so much rain here but the soil still feels dry so I am watering them every evening). I wondered if Baby Bio would give them a boost, like it does with my indoor plants. If it's not suitable for outdoors, what else would you suggest because it seems as if they need feeding with something. Thank you in anticipation :)

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

I've never heard of Baby Bio but if it's a basic 15-15-15 plant food, it should be find.

Have you checked the soil for moisture/dryness at least an inch down? If you've been having alot of rain, it's hard to believe they could be dry... :?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't think one or two feedings of it would be bad, but I wouldn't provide it as a steady diet. Its NPK numbers are 10.6:4.4:1.7, which seems a bit heavy on the nitrogen, if you want your plants to flower well. It would be fine for foliage plants, though.

I agree that your plants are probably suffering from too much water. You need to check below the surface, by digging into the soil with a fingertip. If it's really dry down to 1", then yes, water. Otherwise, I'd hold off watering as long as you're getting a lot of real rain. Here where I live, "rain" can be anything from a downpour to a light mist. If it's only misting, I'll water. If it's pouring down, then I don't water. :)

Julie C
Newly Registered

Thanks for your replies :)

Despite all the rain, the soil is still very dry :( . I think the problem is that we live on a hill and the poor plants are subjected to lots of wind! We live in the most easterly town in England, a fifteen minute walk from the beach, so they do suffer quite a bit :roll:

Interesting that you said the Baby Bio was better for foliage, because I actually use it for my indoor plants, and it has brought new life to my almost white spider plant, which after only a couple of feeds is now dark green and healthy! :lol:

I think I will go to my local garden centre and ask if they have something more suitable for my outdoor baskets and tubs :wink:

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”