sktsfbay

How often to spray?

Hi,

I have been spraying soap-water (tea tree oil soap) / hydrogen-peroxide once a week. Is that enough? Is there any downside to spraying more often - daily or every other day?

Thanks.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Why are you spraying?

sktsfbay

To get rid of insects?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Obviously.......
But are you fighting a particular infestation? Soap sprays are pretty broad spectrum. They take out the good with the bad. All bugs are not bad. Some eat your plants, and some eat or use the bugs that eat your plants. Depending on the type of bugs you have, hand picking is VERY effective.

I personally don't use soap sprays at all. I'm a very aggressive hand picker though. The first year I went organic, I had a real hard time keeping up on the bugs. But years and years later, I usually don't have anything TOO ridiculous. ( I DID have my first slug infestation this year... It was BAAAAAAAD! I hand picked them and used DE.)

There are a lot of chemical free ways to manage pests. Will you give us more specific information about what kinds of bugs you're fighting and what specifically you're after with your spray?

sktsfbay

I don't have much info about the bugs though. I can tell something is eating the plants. It's not bad, but want to keep the bugs in check.

applestar
Mod

If for example, what is eating your plants are slugs, soap spray won't help at all. It could also be night feeding caterpillars that are no longer on the plant when you spray.

It really IS important to ID the culprits. We are all pretty good at it too, if you can give us pertinent info like where you are, the plants involved, the kind of damage, etc. a picture is worth 1000 words, too. :wink:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Some pictures of the damage and a general zone would be very helpful.

imafan26
Mod

It is better to identify what is causing the damage. If there are predators around decide what level of damage is tolerable.
Predators will not get rid of every last pest, but will keep their numbers under control.

Use of broad spectrum killers will kill the good bugs as well as the bad. The hard bodied pests like slugs, snails, beetles, caterpillars are not affected much by soaps. If you have a disease you need a fungicide or neem will work as a preventive.

If you spray, you will need to be committed to repeat spraying and if you choose to spray you will eventually kill off most of the susceptible bugs, but you will be plagued with the resistant ones. So, if you do spray, you cannot use a single product all of the time. You will have to keep switching.

I do use alcohol as an all purpose spray, but I use it sparingly and since it is a contact killer, it needs to make contact with the bugs. It should not be used in the heat of the day or it can burn the plants. The same is true of oil or sulfur. Soap sprays are also contact sprays and have little residual effect. However, these same sprays will also kill beneficial mites, and thrips that eat the bad ones.

Caterpillars are controlled by parasitic wasps and Bt will work most of the time. Physical barriers like netting help keep pests out.

I don't like to use neem, but it is a good preventive fungicide. I do not use it if I can avoid it when bees are foraging or the plants are in flower. While it does not kill adult bees, the polllen may become contaminated and the bees will feed the pollen to the larvae. Milk and sulfur are also good preventive fungicide. When it comes to fungi, it is best to recognize the conditions that favor fungal growth, namely the humid days after a long rainly period, and spray to prevent the fungus from gaining a foothold. Fungal infections are difficult to treat once they start.

Attract beneficial insects to the garden by planting flowering and nectar plants and providing some shrubs and trees for homes.

sktsfbay

Sorry, got busy at work. Here are some of the pictures.

The first one is the Basil plant. Not sure what's wrong with it, about 1/3 of the plant is dying or has died, rest of the plant is green and growing.

The next three are pictures of the hot chili pepper plant. All the leaves look diseased, and the stem too. As I was taking the pics this morning, I saw one yellow bettle. I have seen few smaller (~3mm) insects that look like a tiny fly, and also a green slug. Didn't see them this morning though.

Please suggest what should I do.

Thanks.
Attachments
Basil 1.jpeg
Chili Pepper 3.jpeg
Chili Pepper 2.jpeg
Chili Pepper 1.jpeg

applestar
Mod

I'm sorry you didn't get a reply to your last post.
How are your plants now?

I'm concerned that the basil might be another case of basil downy mildew which has been reported by several members already. Is this a purchased plant?

2nd photo is a spotted cucumber beetle. Next time you see one, catch and squish! It is quick to scuttle and fly off.

Pepper doesn't look good. I'm hoping someone else with more expertise will comment.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I agree cucumber beetle, which makes no sense, unless you have squash or cukes.

The other bugs could be beneficials. A more detailed description would help.

I doubt the "slug" is beneficial. When you give your plants a good watering, the slugs will come out. Pick and stomp, or pick and drown.

It looks like you are planted in pots! Could you tell us what you have planted in each pot, and how large is each pot?

sktsfbay

Yes, these are purchased plants, from Lowe's.

I have one (sweet?) basil and one chili pepper plant. Basil is in a smaller pot, may 2-3 gallon, pepper is in a larger pot may be 4-5 gallons.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”