pgmassa
Newly Registered

Help me save my cactus

I found my golden rat tail cactus a bit wobbly for a few days. Upon looking closer, the bottom looks very mushy and there is a hole hole that oozed some fluid. Here is a picture of the issue.

What should I do to save it? Should I even do something or just let it take care of itself?

Thank you for any help! :-()
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 9.30.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 9.30.41 PM.png (311.97 KiB) Viewed 670 times

imafan26
Mod

sounds like it is rotting. You can basically use a clean knife and cut the rotten part of the cactus off leaving only the healthy firm tissue. Leave it aside for a few days to callus off . In the meantime. I would get a pot that is small than the one you have. Cactus does not grow very fast so you can plant it fairly tightly. You only need a minimum of 1/4 to 1/2 inch clearance around the sides. I use terra cotta azalea pots (they are shorter than standard clay pots). It breathes better. Make sure the pot you use has a drain hole. A lot of cactus dish gardens are in containers with no holes. You have to be very careful watering those. You can use a cactus mix. I live in a very wet and humid place, so I keep my true cactus in the entry where it does not get rain unless the rain comes down sideways (it happens), but still gets good light. I water once a week, sometimes two in summer. They do need fertilizer in containers but not that much . I use a slow release fertilzer (osmocote). Water thoroughly and well so that the water flushes out the drain hole. No saucers under the container. Good air movement. Water when the media is dry. You can pick up the pot atter watering and then feel the difference when it is dry. It will be much lighter.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”