thowell
Newly Registered

Old Aloe plant- No pups. How can I propagate?!

I have had this Aloe (pretty sure aloe vera) for about 6 years, and it was gifted to me by my late grandmother who had it for who knows how many years. The aloe is huge but has never had pups. Ever since my grandmother passed everyone has asked for pups or starts from my aloe. Any advice on how to propagate or maybe why I have no pups? She has been repotted because she is so big, leans a bit, and her current pot is pretty deep. I don't ever trim her leaves until they start to die.
Attachments
Norma_1.jpg
norma 2 .jpg

odSteve
Cool Member

IMHO it needs more sunlight to grow pups. If possible, Very gradually move it to where it will get a full day of sunlight. This will often make it start to grow pups. And another way I've used with aloe plants to make more plants is to cut it in the middle. Another head (and sometime more than one) will grow at the cut point. And the top you cut off can be rooted to make another plant. But it must be rooted in a very dry medium as the cut is very susceptible to rot. I would initially root it in a warm, bright room in a mixture of pure perlite. Then check for roots after a couple weeks. Once roots are growing, replant it in a well-draining cactus potting soil mix.
This procedure for sure will get you two plants from one, but it will take them awhile to grow to the size of the original.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”