3AA552F8-1AB1-4051-B692-8B297FE2F0EC.jpeg
Brown middle of one branch
FF90C521-B785-4B4D-AB57-F4CB48BEAFDD.jpeg
After I cut the branches off.
767E7CE9-2CC5-448B-89E2-881CAE9B7693.jpeg
35FF710A-A580-4592-AE51-2050DD275A2C.jpeg
Callous after one day.
E7F87813-5046-4E20-9D09-A5F9FC215217.jpeg
I've had my jade for 7 years. It was given to me by my high school art teacher and I really cherish it. Please help!

I just moved from California to Colorado and I’ve been so distracted with the move (and I got used to being able to not worry about temperatures) that I left it outside in the cold. It did reach 32 degrees but I don’t know for how long.

After bringing it inside I waited about two days for it to warm up and then took all of the soil out and loosened as much as possible from the roots. Then I put it back with new soil. It’s been in good sunlight in my room for the past three days now.

When I initially took it inside I noticed the branches started drooping due to segments of each branch being soft. I expected that the softness would mean those areas were dead but after cutting into the branches they were almost all still bright green. I only noticed one branch that seemed to be brownish in the middle.

I cut the branches yesterday and then checked them today and the ends of the branches (where I trimmed) are now starting to callous and wrinkle up but there is also some softness there. Is this normal? Can someone please let me know if the callous process looks okay? What next steps should I take? I haven’t watered it since bringing it inside approximately 6 days ago.

odSteve
Cool Member

An old post, but just wondering how your jade plant came through? They don't do well in freezing temperatures but for everyone's info, in a case like this you need to give it as much sunlight and naturally dry heat as you possibly can. Then new growth will start at the node not killed by the frost. Each branch node will continue to shrivel up and die until it gets to a node with new growth. Eventually the branch node sections that are shriveled and dead will fall off (in about two years) leaving a clean stump with new growth and then the plant will look good again.
Just comments based on my experience. I had jade plants in Southern Calif 4 ft tall with trunks as big as my arm. They have unremarkable little white flowers in the spring. I never got any of their tiny black seeds to grow (I think they are sterile) but cuttings are super easy. Once one winter we had a killer frost come through but they recovered as explained above. I just basically left them alone and the frost-bit parts shriveled up, died and fell off leaving clean stumps with new growth.
Even large jade plants have small root systems in proportion to their size.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”