oej2082
Newly Registered

Unknown Cacti

Hello Experts!

Last year in Spain, we liberated cuttings from 2 cacti growing by the side of the road and brought them back to England.

Tried rooting them with success, and put them in a pot with some sandy soil. Attached are the results after 9 months. The one in the lower image consisted only of the bottom part when potted and the one in the upper photo is about twice the planted size, so really happy with them.

Can anyone tell us:

What are they?
How big will they grow?
Do we need to feed them with anything?
We know they probably won't survive outside in an English winter (or summer, for that matter!) so we keep them in a relatively sunny place indoors. Do they need to be in constant sunshine, or can we place them in shade?

Thanks for your advice...

20190712_163621.jpg
Attachments
20190712_163547.jpg

imafan26
Mod

The second cactus in the picture is some species of opuntia. It is easier to identify by the kind of aerioles it has and the flowers.
I have seen the succulent in the top picture but I do not know the name.
https://plantsam.com/cacti-succulents/
This is the opuntia that I have
https://www.gardenia.net/plant/Opuntia- ... Bunny-Ears

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

You need to feed your plants. I use 15-15-15 fertilizer also Urea. Cactus will grow in the worse growing conditions but feed them they do much better.

Your first cactus looks like 2nd picture a very young Cholla. It is native to Arizona I use to find it growing along the highway near Whittmann AZ. It will turn into a very evil cactus with very sharp needles. It grows very fast outside about 6" per month. I use to give my cactus a quick 5 second water spray every day my cutting grew 2 ft tall with several arms in a 4 months.

Your second cactus looks like 1st picture Bunny Ear
Attachments
004.JPG
cholla2.jpg
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

applestar
Mod

@Gary350 - if you click on (Place inline) button, text code/image code associated with the attachment appears at the cursor. You can cut and paste this anywhere you want in the text where you want the image to be displayed.

oej2082
Newly Registered

Thank you all very much - very informative...

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”