MaVen
Newly Registered

Help with Christmas cactus roots rotting

Hello all !
I have had this Christmas cactus for almost 10 years now. I repotted it about a month ago (trying to give it more soil for the christmas bloom) and noticed the past week that the leaves were turning pink. A quick search yielded that the roots might be rotting. I look around the pot and sure enough, the roots were rotting. I took the plant out of the pot and trimmed the roots (cutting and throwing the rotted roots away). I am attaching pictures of where I trimmed it.
My question is - do I directly put this in the soil now - or do I put this in water, for some roots to form ? Please help !!!!
Many thanks in advance for your help !
MaVen
Attachments
Plant Pic 1.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Once you have cut it down to healthy tissue, let it air dry until the wound is calloused. Make sure your potting mix drains well. I use pure cinders for my cactus and succulent mix because it rains nearly everyday in the rainy season = now. I dip the end of the cutting in rooting hormone which is also a fungicide before replanting. Wait about a week before you water. I use about a tsp of osmocote for fertilizer every six months. It does not need a lot, but cinders do not have any nutrients. PH of black cinders is alkaline so I don't lime.

MaVen
Newly Registered

Thank you, imafan26 ! I appreciate your help !

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”