Kaidrosia
Newly Registered

Transplant

Hello, we have aloe vera plants and they keep flopping over, the entire plant.
My mom says its due overcrowding but ive already looked it up and it didnt say that aloe vera flopping over is caused by overcrowding.
Attachments
15409127998481230891046.jpg

applestar
Mod

I think at least part of the reason is that the big/oldest plant at one time was in low light. I see a lot of stem between the leaves. So that portion of the stem may be weaker and can’t support the weight.

But this kind of growth pattern happens with older stems anyway since the lower leaves dry up and die off to expose the stem and the upper, fully plump leaves are too heavy to support, and you have to do something to fix it as your aloe gets older.

You could
1) cut the biggest stem and root it again
2) push the floppy stem completely over and put a rock on it or something, then fill the pot up more with sand, covering the stem and bottom of the exposed aloe plants and arranging them in a pleasing way.
3) you could basically do the same thing as (2) but repot the whole thing .... the current potting mix does look a bit peat/coir heavy and could do with addition of more sand/gravel or perlite.

...it could also be that the potting mix is indeed a bit too moisture holding, and the aloe are all showing signs of overwatering.

imafan26
Mod

I agree, it is mostly low light and it probably could use a little fertilizer as well. Succulents don't need much but they do need some.
It would be better if the plant was in full sun or at least getting the light from overhead. Aloe does get heavy and the stems start to lay on the ground. Usually the aloe looks upright from above because the individual offshoots prop each other up and the aloe will bend up to face the light. The pot is a bit big for the size of the plants in it. I live where it is very wet and I crowd my succulents into the smallest pots they can fit into and I use mostly terra cotta pots that breathe or pots with lots of holes in them. My media is cinder. It does not hold any nutrients but it has a lot of air space. Smaller pots keep the plants smaller as well.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”