imafan26
Mod

Re: Indoor succulents

Most cactus and succulents need bright light. 16 hours of artificial light is a substitute. Glass acts as a magnifier, magnifying both light and heat. Most plants need to be about 18 inches or so from the glass especially on the south or west side. If the light is coming only from the window and not all around the plants, they will need to be turned every other day so they don't start leaning. Leaning plants and plants that are darker green than normal, usually need more light and more even lighting.
You will need to be mindful of watering any indoor plant since it may dry out slower and you need to make sure any saucers you use are kept dry.

https://www.succulentsandsunshine.com/g ... se-plants/

applestar
Mod

I worked at a research lab for a time. The aloes I have now are descended from a pot of aloe one of the physicists gave me back then. He kept pots and pots in his lab in the interior of the building. All the window offices there were dedicated to the Ph.D. researchers’ offices, so the lab spaces were built in the central areas of the floor plan on each floor — no windows.

His lab had slate-topped benches with integral upper cabinets that left additional headroom to the high ceiling. He kept the aloe pots up there — I imagine whoever was lowest/newest research assistant was responsible for getting up on the benches and watering them all... at least they don’t need to be watered very often. This also meant that the biggest aloe were nearly pushing at the fluorescent ceiling lights and they were all getting sufficient light even in the windowless space. I don’t know if they had the lights on a timer or what they did on weekends, but I could easily imagine that somebody had it all set up, maybe even hooked up to one of the computers to regulate. It was that kind of place.

If anyone suffered a burn — whether in this or one of the other labs, physicists or computer scientists, or administrative/secretarial pool, they knew to go to his lab for a bit of fresh aloe. :D

imafan26
Mod

Aloes, sansevieria, aglaonema, dracena, spider plant, spathiphyllum, Boston fern, ficus, philodendron, pathos, and cast iron plants are good "office" plants. Most of these plants will adapt well to indoor living as long as they get good light, watered appropriately, and given some plant food and a repotting once in a while.

Offices make good greenhouses since office or task lighting is overhead, very bright, and kept on for at least 8 hours or more a day. Fluorescent lighting is better than LED lighting for plants because unless you get special bulbs, LED lights don't have the full spectrum of light that the plants need. Offices are often air conditioned which actually dries out the plants faster, but office temperatures are more even and a range that is comfortable for people is usually good for most of the semi tropical house plants. It is still a good idea to take the plants outside and hose the dust off the leaves and flush the salts out of the pots once a week.

People who fail with houseplants usually buy a plant for its looks and don't know how to provide for its needs. I can't tell you how many people ask for a plant they can keep inside that does not need light or water. My answer is usually, plastic.

People usually leave home, turn off the all the lights, and close the blinds. The plant is kept in the dark most of the day. They only notice something is wrong and then they water it to death. ,

House plants need a source of light. A bright window with a sheer curtain and at least 18 inches from the glass for at least 8-14 hours a day. Plants will still only get most of the light from one direction, so the plants need to be turned every other day.

Saucers are to protect the surfaces from staining, but they are banes for plants. Most plants cannot sit in a saucer of water indefinitely and people get lazy and don't take the time to take the plant outside or to the sink to water the plant and flush the salts out of the pot. They should also be watering with filtered water or at least water that has stood in a bucket for a day or two to let the chlorine evaporate. Saucers should be kept dry or the plant propped up on stones or pot feet so it does not sit in water.

Plants are living things, they still need light, water, an even temperature, good air circulation, and food. If a plant thrives, it will grow and need to be groomed and repotted once in a while and fed occasionally.

Most cactus and succulents need bright light, but need a well drained media that can dry out between watering. Some succulents like aloe, sansevieria, night blooming cereus, burro's tail,and jade will tolerate less light, but they don't like to be in the dark.

My problem with cacti is too much water. Cacti are like sponges and are designed to soak up water like a sponge. Their gluttonous affinity for water works well in an arid environment. However, continuous rain requires that I bring my cacti under cover. I have given up on cereus cacti since they rot very fast. Succulents tolerate more water especially if they are planted in rocks and terra cotta pots. I usually let the weeds grow in the pots during the rainy season since they help take up the excess water. If it rains continuously, they still have to be brought under cover. When cacti are dormant they need even less water.
I keep some of my plants on my lanai and the entry where it is open on the sides and gets good light, but does not normally get wet unless the rain is being blown sideways. I have a few cacti in the entry and the blooming orchids on the lanai now.

Most of my succulents are deliberately under potted, partly to control their size, but mainly to make sure they do not retain a lot of water.

Some plants do clean the air as an added bonus.
https://www.sunset.com/garden/flowers-p ... peace-lily

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”