Camikatzy
Newly Registered

Best time to repot succulents?

I have some succulents that grew too much this past spring/summer. I'm thinking of moving them to new bigger pots, but I don't know if I should do it now or wait to better weather.

I'm from Mexico City, so the temperature doesn't drop much in fall/winter but we are in the middle of rain season and they don't get as much sun light as they usually get. I suppose everything (temperature, humidity, light) affects so if anyone can help me by telling me the best season to repot them I will be very grateful.

Also, when you repot plants you use the same soil and just add more to fill the pot? Or you "clean" the roots and use all new soil? I usually use the same and add some compost but maybe there is another better way.

Thank you!

imafan26
Mod

I usually have to repot when the plant starts falling over. Use a newspaper folded into a strap or padded tongs if you have smaller prickly plants. You can hold the pads on the tongs with rubber bands.
Water the plant well before you repot.
Remove the plant from the pot with the newspaper strap or tongs. Gloves are optional, they really don't stop any of the thorns. If the roots are good, I leave it alone. I use a terra cotta pot because it breathes, but I live in a wet area and I need for the plants to stay dry. Select a pot that is just a little larger. I only give my plants 1/2 inch of growing space. Mine grow very slowly. Use a cactus mix or 50/50 peat moss and perlite. You can use fine coir instead of peat moss. Use the tongs to reset the succulent in a clean new pot and fill with the cactus mix. I only give cactus a few grains of osmocote fertilizer.
If you want to take off the offsets,or make cuttings, take them off but only replant them when they have callused off. Wait a week before you water to make sure any damage parts has time to heal before you water again.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”