SucculentCactiLover
Newly Registered

Aloe vera gone dark green, Should I be worried?

I bought an aloe vera online about 2 years ago and it has done so well but today while I was giving it a wash (because of dust) I noticed that it had darkened.

She lives inside on a west facing window, gets watered half a bottle (or a little less) of still natural mineral water every Monday (or more if sunny) and gets turned every couple of days so she doesn't get sunburn.

I've checked the leaves and they don't appear squishy, but I did re pot her about 5 weeks ago and I made sure not to water her for a few days after, the only reason I can think that might be a problem is that she is currently growing pups for the first time, Do I need to water her more?
susan.jpeg
Attachments
susanbabies.jpeg
susan2.jpeg

applestar
Mod

I’m not sure what you mean by “darker” but one of the following might apply?

— if you washed it, the moisture might have penetrated the natural waxy coating making it seem darker. Has the color changed back after drying out?

— during the winter when I bring my plants indoors, some of the plants that grew outside in the much brighter direct sun, dappled sun, and semi-shade turn much darker green, and after they first go outside in the summer, they turn lighter green. I was told this is because indoors, they need more chlorophyll to make same amount to energy in the dimmer light.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”