Mirrorsell
Newly Registered

Aloe Vera looks sick, help?

Hey!

I'm new on here, I'm really worrying about my Aloe Vera, because I suspect it may be sick?
It's an indoor plant and it's located on a South West window (the only option I have, really).

I've had it for a while now and it's grown a lot but lately it's been looking.. Not quite right.

Some leaves are yellow and have brown tips, some seem curled inwards and some are hanging limply downwards..
I decided to repot it, using regular succulent soil because I feared it didn't get enough nutrients? I'm not sure if that's even a thing.

I repotted it 15 days ago, I know I wasn't supposed to water it right away so I waited approximately 4 days because I didn't know how long I was supposed to wait. I also removed it from the direct sunlight because I had the suspicion it's getting sunburnt.
I'm just worrying because the soil is still moist despite me having watered it about 10 days ago.
I just had a plant secretly dying because of root rot and my Aloe Vera is the most precious of my plants..

I have no idea what may be wrong with my plant, so I hope you have any ideas!!
Thank you very much!
Attachments
IMG_20180530_010646.jpg
IMG_20180530_010635.jpg
IMG_20180530_010628.jpg
IMG_20180530_010625.jpg
IMG_20180530_010621.jpg

applestar
Mod

When you slip a plastic pot inside a tight fitting cache/decorative coverpot like that, it’s very difficult to tell if you are overwatering — the inside pot could be sitting in water. When the fit is tight like that, you can’t even lift it up and out to check.

Use a drip tray/saucer instead — that is wider than the bottom diameter of the inside pot. I actually prefer to pot my aloe in terra-cotta unglazed CLAY pots.

Taking it out of direct sun was a good idea. You didn’t say where you are, but as the seasons changs, it’s important to re-evaluate the amount of sun your indoormplants are getting. As the days lengthen, the sun rises earlier, further east and eventually north of east and rises higher in the sky, and sets later, further west and eventually north of west, increasing in duration and intensity. As the days shorten, reverse is true.

You may need to move your plants to a different window, or provide sheer/lace curtain protection in the summer and move away from air conditioner vents... remove all window coverings in the winter and move further inside, away from the chill or away from heating vents.

Mirrorsell
Newly Registered

Thank you very much applestar!
I'll keep it out of the bright sun then! (I was actually contemplating putting it back haha..) thank you for your advice!

Well I can actually lift my plastic pot out of the cover pot without damaging the plant and I still have no idea how to water succulents to be honest..
What I do is that I take it out with the plastic pot (because it has drainage holes) and then I'll water it for while until I can feel that it has gotten heavier and then I'll wait until all excess water has left the pot. Then I'll put it back in the decorative pot..
Is a decorative pot bad for a succulent in general? I'm kinda afraid that they'll not get enough air or something...

I live in Germany by the way!

rolayla

Using a decorative pot is not a bad idea though it is better to have a drainage hole. You can use a diamond tip drill bit if your chosen pot doesn't have a hole.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”