Nsemp
Newly Registered

Cactus help

I was hoping for advice for my cactus. The rest of the cactus looks good but the base has a section which has turned brown/black. I’m not sure how to prevent this continuing to the rest of the cactus or what is causing it. Any advice would be appreciated.
Attachments
B478A787-D2AA-49CA-BB78-E1D71F9A2E96.jpeg

Aida

Is the black spot just in that area, or around the whole base of the plant?
To me, it looks like dry or soft rot, which are caused by bacteria and fungus found in soil. Too much moisture can make it easier for the organisms to reproduce and spread. I know if the plant is large enough you can try to 'treat' it by cutting out those rotten parts. It's not so easy when they are close to the bottom like that, though...
If you plan on trying, maybe look up some youtube videos. Make sure you sterilize the tools after and keep the lil guy away from any friends, the rot can spread to other pots.

Do you by any chance know what type of cactus you have?

Nsemp
Newly Registered

Thanks for your response. It is just this one area and not around the whole base of the plant. I’m not sure what type of cactus it is as I bought it in the discount section at IKEA. I will try cutting it out following a you tube video and hope this helps. So far the rot has stayed the same size since my first post. Thanks again for the advice, it is really appreciated.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”