roxx
Newly Registered

succulent pests

30785170_1809716349050555_335007606_n.jpg
Hi! I got this succulent as a gift. It came as you see it. I'm not really sure what kind of succulent it is, but it's been fine until recently. I noticed this foamy things (there were 2) between it's leaves, and I'm not sure what they are. I scraped them off with a cotton swab, and some little insects came out of them. What are they and what should I do? Do you think I should repot it? I haven't done it before and I'm scared that I'll do it wrong and it will die. Any advice is welcomed!
Attachments
30946300_1809716332383890_669577356_n.jpg

applestar
Mod

Ah ha! I was thinking maybe spittle bug... and then I saw you did say a bug came out — yep Spittlebug. They are baby leafhoppers and they are sucking pests. Most of the time, you can just physically remove them like you just did. You can just smear them off on your grungy gardening pants like I do or be more prepared with paper towel or a cup of soapy water. Or you can shoot them out/off with water using a sprayer.

They usually don’t tend to be too numerous or occur in enough numbers per plant to be an infestation, but in some cases, they can be carriers of plant disease.

...no repotting necessary... :wink:

rolayla

I think they are mealy bugs. Just remove using a cotton bud or tissue.

roxx
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:Ah ha! I was thinking maybe spittle bug... and then I saw you did say a bug came out — yep Spittlebug. They are baby leafhoppers and they are sucking pests. Most of the time, you can just physically remove them like you just did. You can just smear them off on your grungy gardening pants like I do or be more prepared with paper towel or a cup of soapy water. Or you can shoot them out/off with water using a sprayer.

They usually don’t tend to be too numerous or occur in enough numbers per plant to be an infestation, but in some cases, they can be carriers of plant disease.

...no repotting necessary... :wink:
Thanks a lot! Advice is really helpful :D

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”