Kristisplants
Newly Registered

Aloe Vera turning white

Hi! Newbie here. I was given some aloes with roots. I put them right in the ground. Some of them are turning white. Does anyone know what this means or what I can do for them?
Attachments
IMG_5187.JPG
IMG_5188.JPG
IMG_5190.JPG

applestar
Mod

Do you live in an area where aloe can grow outside in the ground? In my area, I have to bring them inside during the cold weather, so I grow mine in containers. Aloe needs well draining soil just like cactus — I Mix 1/2 sand/fine gravel with 1/2 potting mix.

When I take them outside for the summer, I have to be very careful at first because they are not used to direct sun. They get sunburnt. They need to be slowly acclimated I think yours look like it is getting sunburned.

imafan26
Mod

I am thinking this aloe was in a pot in a house or shade for awhile. The bleaching looks like it has been planted out without hardening off first. While I would not dig it up, if the bottom is not soft or getting black. It may not be a problem of overwatering yet. You can try shading the aloe and gradually exposing it to more sun. I use a pvc stand with shade cloth on it or put some larger plants around it that have dense canopies and can provide some shade from the sun. Be careful not to overwater. People with sick plants have a tendency to try to cure it with more water.

rolayla

Maybe your aloe plant is experiencing etiolation.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”