roseycheeks
Green Thumb

unknown type of cactus

100_3295.JPG
I have a cactus that I would like SOMEONE to tell mw what kind it is, it has grown some and now there is bright green on the top. Is that a good thing? I will post a picture of it and maybe a id can be made.

Jessica_c

I'm new to gardening, but it looks like a Coryphantha cactus to me! :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=corypha ... =839&dpr=1

Jessica_c

Jessica_c wrote:I'm new to gardening, but it looks like a Coryphantha or Echinocactus to me! :) Also I think if its light green like that on the top it may need more sunlight. Don't know where you keep it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=corypha ... =839&dpr=1

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Do google search for Desert Botanical Garden Arizona they have 100s of cactus pictures with names. Most of there cactus are native to the USA and our western states. CA, AZ, NM, UT, NV, CO. There are also cactus in ID, FL & Montana. There might be a Cactus Botanical Garden somewhere maybe FL or ID.

Look at the pictures see if you can find a cactus like yours. One thing I notice about your cactus needles are all on the end of a bump, tit shape that sticks out. If you do not find your cactus in this country it might be native to another country.

Bright green top sounds like it is not getting enough sun. 4 hours of sun per day in 114 degree weather is enough. 6 hrs a day Full direct sunlight in 75 degree weather is enough.

Cactus are identified by several things, number of needles in a group, length of needles, curled or straight needles, needle pattern, size and shape of the cactus, spacing between needles groups, high elevation or low elevation plant. Body shape, smooth or rib, how many ribs, arms or pads?

High elevation cactus are not very sensitive to, too much rain, snow, ice, blizzards, wind.

Low elevation cactus are very sensitive to, too much water, too much snow & ice.

Water your plant once a week with an ice cube and feed it. It needs fertilizer it needs to eat just like me & you. Feed it once a week.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”