med93
Newly Registered

Young succulents and direct sun?

Anyone with advice on caring for young succulents plants and their lighting needs?

Most of my plants are propagated from leaves and still only a few months old. They seem to be stretching as if they have low light. However, if I lift the blinds (they're in a South facing window that receives direct sun 9:30am-4pm) they seem to decline.

I know the sunlight is not actually direct coming through the window glass, but I'm beginning to think the light or heat on my young ones is just too intense for them.

Thanks for any advice.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When I had succulents they did best outside in full shade where they got a lot of indirect sunlight. Sun angle changes from 34 degrees in Dec to 89 degrees in June. One day I notice direct sunlight killed some of my plants it only took about a few hours to kill them. I watered my outside plants with the garden hose every day.

med93
Newly Registered

Right. I had the same results as well when I started in the summer. I bought leaves for propagation vs buying full grown plants and they were kept in full shade outside less than a foot from direct sunlight. They grew and propagated small plants but the plantlets just seemed to stretch and stretch. Idk what I'm doing wrong.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”