kwl11
Newly Registered

Help with cactus

Hi! So I’m trying to save the top half of a very small cactus. I’m not very optimistic because I had to cut off a large portion, and it’s not an easily-propagatable part (like a pad). The bottom half died because it had been planted in peat soil, and it never crossed my mind that the seller could have used the wrong kind of soil. I think the bottom has scabbed over, but I’m worried because some of the areoles are turning grey. The number of grey areoles has increased since I removed the cactus bottom (about two weeks ago) but the other half of the cactus looks perfectly green. The cactus overall and grey areoles are surprisingly firm, and I cut off a few of the grey spots and the inside still looks green (not rotted).

I have a couple questions about this:
1. Is this greying is normal/is it part of the healing process?
2. Will the cactus recover from this?
3. If it can recover, how long will it take for the cactus to put out roots? (How long should I wait before calling it quits?)
4. How should I care for it? Should I water it more frequently than a healthy cactus? Should I set it on top of soil?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Spot with grey areoles
Spot with grey areoles
Bottom of cactus
Bottom of cactus

imafan26
Mod

it looks like it is ok. The main thing is you cut off all of the rot and it is scabbed over. Time to plant but, I would use a really small pot like a 2 inch terra cotta or plastic pot, just enough for it to fit and a well drained mix.

A95willia
Newly Registered

I'm in no way any plant or cactus expert. Very much a novice,but I have that same type of cactus( not sure of the name).The parent plant had dropped off one of the "balls"(I'm sure there is a proper term for them,I don't know it.)Lol!Like imanfan26 said, put it in a small container. Mine had potting soil and the cactus mix in the soil,filled approximately 2/3 full. I laid it on top of the soil,did not bury it whatsoever ,watered it about every 7-10 days left it out on my deck from beginning of spring and it finally sprouted roots,probably about mid summer and is doing great. I watered it along with my other plants,using miracle grow for house plants. Not sure if that's the correct fertilizer for cactus but it has reacted favorably to it. The parent plant even bloomed around the end of June/mid July.
If you know the name of the cactus please let me know!

kwl11
Newly Registered

Thank you both for your help! I'm going to put it on soil and hope it grows roots.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”