plutus1947
Newly Registered

Planting Cactus Seeds

Hello all Cactus Lovers,

I am a newbie to this Forum and to cactus growing and I am sure I will be delighted to meet you all.

My question is regarding the initial planting of Cactus seeds.

I have searched this Forum but do not appear to be able to find a definitive answer with regard to the way to plant them and to water them, although I am sure there are answers I simply can't find them.

I am going to use a proper Cactus compost and will use a layer of Vermiculite as a top dressing.

I would really appreciate step by step instructions as to how to prepare the compost, plant the seeds and above all how much water to give newly planted seeds and how much during their germination process.

I have read several informative comments about the planting of these seeds but they seem to vary very much. Some suggest soaking the compost in water until it is waterlogged and then let it drain before planting the seeds and some recommend microwaving the soil prior to planting whilst others say plant the seeds in the compost, place a thin layer of Vermiculite over the top and lightly spray the pot.

Perhaps the experts here will be able to advise me as to the right way to plant these darling seeds.

I will be extremely grateful.

imafan26
Mod

I rarely grow cactus from seeds. They are easier from cuttings. I have grown adenium from seeds. I used a mini greenhouse. I got a grape container from Costco. (They have gotten smaller since). It already has the ventillation holes in it. I wet perlite or you can use a 50/50 mix of perlite and vermiculite if your soil dries out too fast. Wet it first, initially, I put the perlite in the the container dry and it came out the holes in the container, so put it in wet so it won't sift out. Fluff the surface with a fork or cultivator. I dropped the seeds on top and did not cover it. I used a spray bottle filled with warm water and spritzed the top. The media was already damp so it did not take much. You just want to get the seeds moistened. Put the mini green house in a spot with good light but out of direct light. Spritz with water to keep the media moist but not soggy as needed. How often depends on how fast it dries up.

This is the real reason why I don't like to start succulents or lavender from seeds. It will take 3-4 months for the seeds to germinate and the plants be big enough to carefully transplant them. Once you see the tiny dots sprouting you can add 1/4 strength miracle grow to your water bottle every other week.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”