riverofwind

Are these mealy bugs, spider mites, or something else?

Hello I have a simple question about some pest that's inhabiting my crassula pagoda's leaves. Attached is a picture. The local plant guru told me they are mealy bugs but I just wanted a second opinion. I noticed small cob webs on my plant but didn't think anything of them until white chalk like growths started appearing on the new foliage at the top of the plant. What are these guys? How do I treat the plant to remove them? Sorry but these pictures are about as good as I can do with my phone's camera for up close.
Thanks!
spiders.png

applestar
Mod

Can you try again. I just cannot see enough definition to tell. Try propping the phone on a support to prevent shaking. Don't use the digital zoom but get really close.

I find there are some good free camera apps that can increase functionality of the cell phone camera.

riverofwind

Thanks for the help. How about this picture? Looks like white webs with yellow spots if my eyes don't deceive me.
spiders22.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Mealy bugs are common pests of succulents, but to me they look more like white flies. Especially with the webbing and I think I faintly see some white wings. Get a magnifying glass and take a closer look. A magnifyer 10-20x or a 30x loupe are good.
I would first try to blast off the white flies you can with a shot of water from the jet setting on the hose. Do this outside. Cover the pot in a plastic bag if you have to, so you can turn the pot without the media falling out. Next use a sprayer filled with 70% alcohol. The sprayer will fit on the alcohol bottle it just needs to be the right length. Use a swab to clean out between the petals anything you see. You may have to repeat these steps, if you miss anything or there are adults flittering nearby they will try to come back. It is important that you plant be in optimum health with with the right media, water, light, and food. Yours looks like it could use a lttle more light.
https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7401.html

riverofwind

Thanks. There were small cob webs if that is revealing at all...

applestar
Mod

Rainbowgardener posted these in reply to another thread -- possible?

Subject: Tomato issues need help urgent
rainbowgardener wrote:what you were seeing was not the eggs, it was the actual insect.

wooly whitefly:

wooly aphid

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”