needsomehelp1
Newly Registered

Aloe ciliarus - Black spots, sunken - need some help

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with my aloe ciliarus. A few weeks ago, I noticed black spots on its leaves and did some searching. All that I've been able to find is a diagnosis for sunburn or overwatering. I've checked the roots for rot (none) and don't place it in a very bright window (west facing with some afternoon shade). I haven't paid too much attention to it since then, assuming it was one of those problems.

On my last watering, I realized that the spots seem to be spreading in size and location as well as sinking. I attached a photo of a zoomed in spot as well as an aerial. It hasn't spread to the crown, so that's a relief. But still wondering how to proceed with treatment.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Esoteric_Ocelot
Newly Registered

I'm replying to this in hopes that someone has an answer because the spots look very similar to ones on my saguaro pup. I brought him to Virginia from the Phoenix airport in Arizona about 10 days ago and couple days later potted him in a mixture of 45% nutrient garden soil, 45% medium coarse sand, and 10% peat. I've given him only about 4 tablespoons total of distilled water and he was placed in a south facing window behind a layer of light vine foliage for some shade. I think I'll move him to a clay pot soon as I've heard it helps remove moisture from the soil better than the plastic pot he's in now. The rocks on top came with the cactus and are very light so I assume it's perlite. He has a next door neighbor who is an Echinopsis and has been growing beautifully for about 7 years so I know the sill is at least capable of maintains a cactus, but perhaps not of the saguaro variety. Any help is appreciated! The black spot is expanding rapidly, about 1mm per day so I might slice the top off soon and hope for new clean pups to surface, but doubtful that will happen if his roots haven't taken in the new soil yet.
Attachments
IMG_3692.JPG

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Looks like leaf damage to me. I've had spots like that on my aloe and it never seems to spread or cause any problems. No idea as to what causes it but it hasn't harmed the plants so far.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”