Oraeliaa
Newly Registered

Yellow soft cactus

Hi,

Hope someone can help, I've been keeping cactus for a couple of years now with no problems. My parents potted me a terrarium for Christmas-I lost one cactus very quickly (and removed it) but the other two grew quickly and thrived- now however they are going sickly yellow and soft!

I love my cacti and succulents and want them to thrive, they don't get the most heat as I live in the chilly north west of the UK but that's never been a problem before now.

I mist all my succulents and cacti once a month or so.

Also, how would you recommend I repot the bigger cactus, and what is the white stuff on the roundy one? I've removed it gently with a paintbrush before but not sure if it's supposed to be there...
Attachments
Sickly cactus
Sickly cactus

Metermaid53
Newly Registered

That is a Stapelia it needs very careful watering otherwise it will rot easily.

Cacti and succulents don't need misting.

Do you ever feed your cacti and succulents? They need your sunniest window sill and no water through the winter, they also need very good drainage, don't use multi purpose compost.

Oraeliaa
Newly Registered

Thankyou!

Which one rots easily? I think the round one is definitely rotting as it's going an awful shade of grey...should I leave them with no water and put it on the windowsill?

I had been told they needed misting, and was bought a special mister, how should I be watering them?

Metermaid53
Newly Registered

The one with multi stems is a stapelia.

Water once a week but only if the sun is shining. They always need to be on your sunniest window sill. I'd give them a break from watering for a couple of weeks and stop misting them. What sort of compost are they in?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

In a glass container they will overheat if placed in full sun in a windowsill. I would put them in the shade outside if you can put them where the rain won't fall on them. Otherwise an east window or under a florescent light is ideal. I have misted my barrel cactus but only once a month when they look like they are getting a little dry.

Succulents should never be planted in a container without drainage. Unglazed clay pots with a fast draining potting mix for cactus are best.

Yours both unfortunately look like they have a bad case of root rot. Sorry. The branched one might be saved by propagating cuttings. I'm not sure how you would do that on that species.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”