Blans

Cactus ID, rot/mold?

I'm in the process of repotting some plants I got from Lowe's and was wondering if what I'm seeing is normal. They're horrible at watering their plants so it wouldn't surprise me if this was rot.

It was planted very deep with no drainage/aeration and its pot prevented it from getting much sunlight. I'm concerned that this shriveled/dusty looking chunk is going to be a problem for the new growth attached to it. The plant hasn't seemed unwell otherwise; it grows like a weed. The other one of these that I got was much worse off looking and managed to survive and grow after I removed that questionable looking part. So my question is, am I overreacting and removing a normal part of the plant? Or is this rot?

I'm also having a hard time IDing these.
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Oh Yeah, bunny ears have rot. Break off the tops above the rotted part and set them aside to callus off a few days. Repot in cactus soil. Use a pot with good drain holes. I like to use terra cotta since it breathes better. Get a small pot, don't over pot.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

The newest growth is stretched from low light. If it was in the most bright spot you have, some other plant that doesn't require so much light to grow normally would probably give you a more satisfying experience.

Blans

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully my new greenhouse will give them the conditions they need! Once this cactus calluses I'll pot him outside.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”