Blans

Help with road kill cactus? (Pics)

I bought this 10 inch tall cactus 2 weeks ago. There are 4 individual cactuses squeezed into one pot. In this past week I have noticed rapid growth in 3 of them. It's pretty thin and bends towards the sun, so I've been rotating the pot to try to balance it out. Is this pale green appearance typical of a growing cactus or is it due to stress/stretching/overcrowding? I was saving money to buy a green house, but if they need more sun now then I'll have to settle for a cheaper one. :mrgreen:

Blans

The new growth is fairly translucent and bends when pressed on gently.
Attachments
IMG_2312.JPG
IMG_2309.JPG
IMG_2313.JPG

applestar
Mod

Any time plants bend towards the sun, they need more than what they are getting. Could you put a desk lamp over them or something? Get daylight CFL 6500K if possible, that is 100W equivalent or better -- not all hardware/big box stores stock them so you may have to search on-line first and get them delivered to the store, or at least call ahead.

Blans

I have a clamp-on heat lamp for reptiles that I no longer use. The lamp says "max 60 watts, type A or smaller lamp". I'm not too familiar with CFL light bulbs. Can they be used in a lamp like this?

imafan26
Mod

an the plants be hardened off outside instead? They would be much happier. You can divide the cacti to give them more room. Make sure you use a pot that breathes; has a good drainage holes; cactus soil, and fertilize now that they are growing.

I don't know about the heat lamp. Most plants get plenty of heat from a regular light. CFL and LED lights have lower watts and generate less heat but they have to fit the lamp. CFL might be better since you would need a special LED for plants. A CFL lamp can generate the same amount of lumens (800) as an incandescent light using about 15 watts. Get a daylight bulb for the brightest light.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/guide/ ... a-q-s.html

Blans

I think I might just go ahead and buy the $100 greenhouse so that I can give them the conditions they want. It is 15x7x7 feet so there will be plenty of room for them to grow for now. I will also take applestar's advice and purchase the CFL bulb and a suitable lamp to use on my indoor plants. Thanks!

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”