anomalocaris

Wine cork planters--is this a good idea?

I just read this tutorial about making mini-planters for succulents out of recycled wine corks.

It looks cute, but is it good for the plants? I wouldn't want to make a bunch of these and have them end up dead in a month.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Those little planters are cute, but WAY too teeny. Nothing is going to grow in there for more than a week or so.

anomalocaris

Yeah, that figures. :/ Thanks.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

It depends on what you put in them. I hollowed out some wine corks & put cuttings of various plants of micro-stature. Some last for a couple years, some plants outgrow more quickly. They dry quickly & need to be braced if outside so they can't blow away.

plants to consider:
Sedum album, rubrutinctum, burrito
Jovibarba
Phedimus, various species
propagated leaf-babies from smaller-stature rosette plants like Echeveria, Sedeveria, Graptoveria
Crassula muscosa
Rhipsalis pilosa

webmaster
Site Admin

Most definitely you can grow a succulent in there. My daughter is a miniature garden enthusiast and wants me to start a forum category for miniature container gardens.

My daughter's growing a succulent inside of a seashell, in a window ledge in one of our bathrooms. It receives moisture from when someone showers as well as an occasional light watering.
succulent-seashell-1.jpg
Indoor Miniature Garden in a Sea Shell
Indoor Miniature Garden in a Sea Shell

webmaster
Site Admin

There's a variation of this cork mini-planter that involves using a glue gun to glue a magnet to the back of the cork planter so you can stick it to your fridge. Looks pretty cool.

Anyone want to try it?

fairygardengirl

The plant in that sea shell looks like an air plant. An air plant is a type of succulent that doesn't need to be in soil. Not all succulents are like that though...if you used an air plant in the cork that would be really cute!

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Yes, that looks like Tillandsia ionantha.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”