zeeshan112
Cool Member

Help with Aloe Vera

Hey guys,

My container Aloe Vera has developed roots that over time has become round and convoluted and sticks out of the soil. Please see pic attached. Will this cause problem in anyway to the plant? How should I go about putting the root inside the soil so that the plant becomes upright?

Thanks!
Attachments
Picture1.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Aloe and most plants will want to orient themselves to face the light and to be upright. The pot does not allow the roots to grow straight so it grows in a circle. The leaves are also growing in a circle. and they are growing relatively flat so they are curling to try to get the top to eventually twist upright.

Repot the aloe in a smaller pot. You can cut off part of the stem and let it dry first. The main thing will be to make sure the top is facing up and is not flopping over to the side. I would get the smallest pot you can put it in and still keep it facing up.

zeeshan112
Cool Member

Thanks for your reply, imafan26. I am just curious to know, how will repotting in a smaller pot help the plant?

imafan26
Mod

It will keep the root from curling on the surface. It will still curl the soil especially if you put it in a gallon pot. The smaller surface area exposed will limit how much curling the top will do and if you plant it propped upright it will look better.

zeeshan112
Cool Member

Okay...thank you!!

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”