laurareesi
Newly Registered

3 year old aloe - healthy age or slowly dying?

I've had my aloe for a little over three years, and I am starting to get concern because the lower leaves are starting to droop on the sides (see picture), and unsure if that is part of its natural cycle to have the lower leaves die out while the center is still growing and sprouting out new leaves. Please note that the photo was taken only three days ago, and the leaf on the left has now drooped just like the one on the right. Also some of the other leaves are starting to curve downward, afraid these might droop down next or, if this is normal as they're getting heavier.

Just some background information:

I have the plant on a watering cycle, sundays/wednesdays. I always check the soil before watering, if it is still damp 1-2 inches then I wont water. I used to feed the plant with liquid feeder once a week during spring/summer months. The aloe sprouted its first flower this past summer in June, and has produced several babies over the years. Originally the plant was living in Chicago, Illinois however we relocated south to Oklahoma about six months ago, so it has gone through some serious climate changes over time.

I last re-potted the aloe last summer as it started to get too heavy for it's own container. This pot has a drainage hole, and is about a foot deep, and I used cactus soil mix.

This is my first aloe I've ever had for this long, so getting nervous if perhaps the aloe isn't getting as much sun as it could be getting in our new house or if this is all normal and shouldn't be worried about the lower leaves. thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 6.30.24 PM.png

imafan26
Mod

It looks good. The leaf is probably bending because it is too heavy. My aloe on the ground does not do that but the patch butts up against each other so they support each other. I really cannot see a wilting leaf. As long as nothing is shrivelled on the majority of the leaves, I think it will be o.k.

Three years isn't very old. Mine did not even bloom until they were at least 10 years old.

laurareesi
Newly Registered

Thanks for your input imafan26. Wilting might be wrong word, they are more so bent, one on the right has been like that for some time and very thin, the one on the left just bent down today and much thicker. More pictures below.

Do you have recommendation of what to put beneath for more support if you suspect they are bending from their own weight?
Attachments
1485152717778-101508518.jpg
1485152675919-2115221578.jpg
14851526182071293922614.jpg

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”