jackjack
Newly Registered

Crown of Thorns over winter

Hi everyone,
This past summer I was lucky enough to get a crown of thorns tree from a neighbor who had to give it up due to her grandchildren and the risk of its sharp spikes. It did wonderfully outside over the summer, but when I brought it in it started losing leaves. I have it in the brightest spot in my house now (between a northwest facing and a southwest facing window) and it's still losing leaves yet still blooming. I water it once every few weeks and never let the soil get too wet. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Please help! I love this plant and need to get it through the winter!

baileysup
Green Thumb

Is it a ficus, or a tree that can be inside? Most trees die inside, cause they need dormancy of winter. Your location, and climate will help too.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Make sure you aren't watering it too much. Leaf loss is usually very common when an outdoor plant is moved to a low light location indoors. You should give it more light. You will have to put artificial light over it because the light from the window just isn't enough.

applestar
Mod

I don't have this plant and had to look up minimum temperatures. Are you keeping it on the floor or on a table? Leaf drop might be normal if closer to the floor/colder due to proximity to window and temperature is low.

Typically, succulents go dormant in lower/lowest limit temps and will require less light and less watering. Often people overwater during the winter resting period. On the other hand heat-dried air may cause the soil to dry out faster. Do you think any of this is the case?

My go-to for indoor plant care is Logee's. Heres an excerpt from their euphorbia-crown of thorns page. What do you think?
Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia hybrids)
https://www.logees.com/euphorbia_hybrids

They can take cool nights in the winter as long as the days are above 60°F but longer periods of cold temperatures will force them in to a resting period when they will drop their leaves even to the extent of becoming leafless. Long periods of dryness will do the same

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”