KTMay

My aloe plants aren't growing!

I have several aloe babies that I acquired from a very large, very healthy aloe momma.
They grew a small amount, then they seemed to stop growing altogether. It's been months now and they are all still the same.
Some leaves are beginning to yellow.

I stopped watering them about a week ago in case this is the problem..
They live next to a window which provides ides full light, but they are not on the windowsill due to the weather. (It's winter here, and it's cold!)

-- I took the season into consideration, but my workplace has an aloe as well. Their plant is probably the same age as mine, but is much more green and healthy, and is growing noticeably by the week.
It is also growing near but not too close to a windown for maximum light.

I asked about it, of course, but they acquired this plant through a friend and do not know the soil type.

The only difference is think is that they water it more infrequently than I.

Could my poor babies be drowning? Should I try a fertilizer? Is this a bad or a good time to try and repot?? And if so, is basic cacti medium the best choice?
I think I have them in an all purpose medium currently.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I would love each to see these guys start thriving in time. I'd just like to meet sure I do the right things!

applestar
Mod

Hmmm... it would help if you could post some pictures. Generally speaking, they should be watered less if ambient temperature is cold and light is poor. I prefer mine to go almost dormant during the winter and put them on or close to the windowsill. That way, I can give the better lighted locations to other plants that HAVE to have the bright light. :wink:

Even if you are doing everything right, it's also possible that they are just concentrating on growing roots.

Asica

They need a good drainage, so a hole in a pot will be good. They do not need to be water to much, I would say once a week is plenty. Since they were removed from a mother plant they will take time to establish roots so maybe growing leaves its not a priority.

imafan26
Mod

Aloe will not grow as fast if it is pot bound. How tight are your plants? They will also grow faster with more light. I suspect in the office, they are near a lighted place most of the time.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”