Shilow
Newly Registered

Jade Plant

I have a Jade Plant. All summer it did great. Now that the weather has turned cold for winter. I am now loosing healthy leaves. The plant does not appear to have any problems. I watch the watering so I do not over or under water it. I have kept it indoors. I have it in a sunny window. During the winter it does not get as much sun. So I use a plant light. In this apartment I noticed that it gets colder by the windows. I have grown Jade's before and had wonderful success with them. But for some reason in this apartment I struggle with them. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening. I am at a loss about it. Thanks

Shilow

baileysup
Green Thumb

It could be getting a chill from the window, and it's not getting as much light. Therefore, it's adapting to what is sustainable for the new winter conditions. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My plants hate the winter, and usually look pretty rough by spring. I'm running a couple aquarium fluorescent lights this year, in hopes that it will help. But ya, if it is drafty or cold by the window, you will want to remedy that.

Shilow
Newly Registered

Ok thanks. That's what I was thinking. I moved it away from the window yesterday. So it has filtered like from the sun but gets the rest from a plant light. Hoping for the best. Will see when summer comes again.

Shade

I have a huge jade. It is about 3 1/2 feet tall and about 4 feet wide with a 6 inch diameter trunk. I move it outside every spring for the summer. When I move it in it loses about 1/3 of it's leaves over the winter. It sits on the floor by a north window. Unless your apartment is VERY cold the chill being next to a window should not effect it. What does effect it is moving it inside. They will naturally lose leaves from the reduction of light from being outside. When I move mine outside for the summer it fills out again. It is just a natural response to changing light conditions. Mine has even at times dropped entire branches. I would not worry too much about it if losing leaves is the only concern. How big is it by the way?

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”