lemongardener
Newly Registered

Indoor Succulents Winter Care

I have a nice little collection of succulents in my bay window- It is the only window in my house that gets full/partial sun all day. My entire house has an overhang and is surrounded by trees so it is Literally the only window that gets any sun.
The plants have thrived living up there since May and I have little ones growing from the bigger ones, have propagated them all summer, everything is healthy and fine!

But I am worried the winter season is going to hurt/kill them? The window itself is not insulated very well. It get very very cold. So questions being....
Do I need to move them away from the window?
Do I need to buy a light?
Do I need to get a small light for warmth and just keep them in the window?
Watering wise Do I cut back? ( I normally check them every two weeks, to see if they even need water)
Do I need to re-plant them with more vitamins?

Any other Wisdom and suggestions are Very welcome! I have a black thumb and this year was my first successful year of keeping everything alive. So I really don't want to lose all my plants this winter!!
Thank you in Advance!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

What species of plants do you have? Are they tropical varieties or would they be hardy outdoors? Does the window get ice on the inside of the panes when it's cold outside? Is there a heater or air vent near the window?

I would try to find a bit warmer spot and set up a light for the plants. Try to keep them away from a heat source and watch their soil moisture closely.

Replant in spring. Replanting with fresh nutrients will cause them to grow again. You want them to live but not necessarily to grow through the winter. Most plants need a rest period which normally happens during the winter.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”