ElLizardo

New Aloe plant has babies, how do I take them off?

I have recently bought an Aloe plant from Wilko of all places, it came with a baby one growing. My succulent collection is coming on well now :D

I have no idea how to take it off so it will survive and what it should be put into etc, help would be very much appreciated :)

Here is a photo of the baby
Attachments
DSC_0766.JPG

applestar
Mod

Not sure if what you have is an aloe, but I think it's best/easiest to let the babies grow to some size before separating them. You can let the mother plant and the offsets/pups fill the pot.

ElLizardo

That my explain why I couldn't find anything that looked like it when searching aloe. Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks for the quick reply :) so glad I decided not to pull it off now, does the baby succulent need roots to survive in its own soil?

ElLizardo

Was meant to add this photo to the last post
Attachments
1477888218979991809675.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Looks more like a sedum. You can leave the baby with the mother plant for a while and take it off when it is bigger. These succulents will even grow from a leaf.

ElLizardo

Thank you :) the tag on the plant says aloe, only reason I thought that's what it is .

Wow, I didn't know succulents could do that! kinda convienent as I accidentally knocked one off when I picked it up ( oops) anything I need to do besides put it in soil?

Thanks again :)

Asica

You spray with water, just a little mist.
The baby once bigger you can just cut. Let it heal in shade for a day and then plant it.
If you let your sedium get stress (little water, a lot of sun) it will turn yellow/ orange color.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”