evanm
Newly Registered

wounded aloe plant

I have an aloe plant that I love, that has to this point been very healthy, but which my husband dropped the other night. Two of the arms broke off and the base seems to be a little loose, though that may be because some of the soil is gone. When he dropped it, he just rearranged it on the table but with all the arms hanging over the table edge, which I think loosened the root. (At this point I should say I am not a gardener and don't know if they're actually called 'arms' so apologies if this is wrong.)

The arms are really thick and heavy, and now feel floppy where they connect to the root, instead of robust. Basically, my plant looks droopy and wounded and it's bumming me out. Will it be ok? What can I do to make it ok? There is one arm that has a break halfway down, but is ok where it connects to the root -- should I cut that off?

Any help would be much appreciated. My mother in law gave me this plant and I got weirdly attached to it.

baileysup
Green Thumb

It's in shock, but will make it. Aloe vera's are beasts. Just make sure it's potted properly now, so you don't have to fuss with it later. Don't worry about the leaves, but you could cut the broken one off, bellow the damaged area if it bothers you. I usually trim damaged leaves.

evanm
Newly Registered

That's such a relief, thank you! Will repotting it traumatize it more right now, or does it make no difference? It probably needs a bigger pot anyway.

baileysup
Green Thumb

It will be ok to repot it now. The sooner it stops being traumatized, the sooner it will get comfy and happy, to return to normal growth. No problem, and you're welcome :)

evanm
Newly Registered

Wow I feel so much better. Thanks!

baileysup
Green Thumb

I forgot to mention not to water it until a week after repotting. This will give the roots time to heal first. It may not be absolutely necessary, but it is the safest way to prevent rot.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”