leahred1967
Newly Registered

Ponytail palm seedlings

20160827_084000.jpg
I planted ponytail palm seeds before checking out how to do it, and this is how they sprouted. I've looked at pictures of other ponytail palm seedlings and they look nothing like this. Will they sprout out like they're supposed to? :?: :shock:

baileysup
Green Thumb

They look good in that picture!

imafan26
Mod

They look a little lanky to me. They should have secondary leaves by the time they are that high. Gradually move them to more light.

leahred1967
Newly Registered

Thank you. I have them where they can't get any direct sunlight because I was scared of burning them. I'll start letting them get a little morning sun.

leahred1967
Newly Registered

One of them is starting to get another leaf now. Yay!

applestar
Mod

That's great! I'd love to see update/progress photos 8)

I have a date palm growing -- one of the seeds from dehydrated dates I tried planting sprouted. It's been outside all summer and I'll be bringing it inside later in the fall.

leahred1967
Newly Registered

Here's an updated picture(minus the prickly pear I'm trying to grow). They're doing very well. Had to bring them inside because of night temps. The little one on the end is a new addition from another of my seeds that sprouted late. I am wondering one thing though; why are the leaves round instead of flat??
Here's an updated picture(minus the prickly pear I'm trying to grow). They're doing very well. Had to bring them inside because of night temps. The little one on the end is a new addition from another of my seeds that sprouted late. I am wondering one thing though; why are the leaves round instead of flat??

baileysup
Green Thumb

They look great, and much progress has been made! Awesome job you're doing. It's so much fun watching them grow! Love your new cactus too, it's so cute. Any future updates are appreciated, and thank you for this update :)

leahred1967
Newly Registered

Baileysup, how is your date palm doing? :) My ponytails are doing great! :-() I'll post an updated pic of them. I also started a new snake plant from a leaf cutting. 8) I absolutely love doing this! :clap:
Attachments
20170225_140111.jpg
20170225_140036.jpg

applestar
Mod

Those are looking great! They are starting to form the bulbous base?

MY date palm seedling? It's huddled with the rest of the tropicals waiting for warm spring weather when they can go outside again.

Jurf
Newly Registered

Hello there. I was wondering how long you guys needed to wait for your ponytail palms to look like that? I just planted ten seeds and am going all over the internet to get as much info as possible! This forum looks like its got great experienced users!

imafan26
Mod

Most palms can take a while to germinate 60 days to 2 years. They are not fast growers. The pony tail palms took about 6 months to start to bulb up. Other palms will look immature for a year or more. There are over 800 palms so people specialize in them. I cannot tell a palm apart when they are small except by its class.

leahred1967
Newly Registered

My ponytails took about a month or so before I started noticing them poking through the soil. But then watch out! They grew like wildfire! Yes Applestar, they have the bulbous little beginnings of their trunks now, this winter has been kinda rough on them, with a little browning on the tips of the leaves, but they'll be fine. If you're like me u can't wait till Spring! Guess what guys, it's next week! I'll take pics of their little bulbs and post them soon.Ttyl Oh yeah, jurf, don't plant them in too big of pots. They like to get root bound.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”