tsukimori
Newly Registered

Why my Fish Hook Barrel Cactus excreting sugar powder on top

I'm not sure if this is normal but my cactus has some sugary powder on the top of cactus? is this some normal thing that the cactus does to survive? Or does this indicate that I don't water enough or I water it too much or maybe not enough sun?

Look like sugar or powder or someone smoking cocaine on top of my cactus.... not sure what it is but if anyone knows if this is natural or indicates that the cactus isn't getting enough sunlight or water, please tell me.

Just wondering I heard these cactus produce fruits too usually when do they produce because so far not even a flower appears on mines.
20160813_204204.jpg
20160813_204214.jpg
20160813_204242.jpg
Once in while I use rubbing alcohol to wipe them off and they do come off but then after a week or so they come back. I don't think they are insects though because they don't move or anything

baileysup
Green Thumb

To me, it looks like some kind of pest. Possibly aphids, but not exactly sure. If it were my cactus, I would spray it down (completely cover) with diluted liquid dish soap. Something like 10 to 1, but I just eyeball it. This will not hurt the cactus, but the pests will not enjoy it that much. Once and awhile my one agave will get some of these tiny little cotton like things on it, and the dish soap works every time. You can repeat as needed. You can also try neem oil.

Also, keep an eye on it for any discoloration, or mushyness. That could indicate mites, or something else. Not sure how, or if mites can be treated. Start with the diluted dish soap.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”