roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Mother-in-laws tongue and snake plants

I have got the snake plant in the picture window and the 2 mother-in-laws tongue plants on the table in front of the same window, I can't put the 2 in the window, I don't have containers small enough to fit on the sill and still catch the excess drainage. So there is my problem, do you think they will do alright there? And should I water it every two or three weeks?

baileysup
Green Thumb

They should be fine there. Snake plants don't need much light at all, and can survive on very little light. Don't water them until the soil is fully dry. Snake plants are the only plant I've had issues with overwatering, but I think my soil mix was too water retentive, and that was the cause of my overwatering issue. They are VERY tough plants, and seem to thrive on neglect. Just watch the watering.

enigmaticcurses1977

These guys almost never do anything except live. I would suggest very frugal watering. Also, don't cut the tips or injure the tips. They stop growing once the top has been nicked.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I just watered them the other day and only used a measuring cup of water on each of them. Now I won't water again for about a month or two.

imafan26
Mod

Snakeroot and mother in law tongues are the same plant = sanseveria. They come in a dwarf and a tall version. They are very resilient and tolerate a wide range of conditions.

enigmaticcurses1977

They are insanely tough, I don't even know how they survive. The only thing I can say is do not cut or break the tip of the plants or they won't grow

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”