ShortTom007
Newly Registered

Aloe Type

I recently recieved an aloe plant from my girlfriend. I have had it for several months and it is spliting like I expected it to. Everything was going well until someone informed me that it was not an Aloe Vera plant. The plant that I have has bumps on it. I was under the impression that as it got older, the bumps would go away and become the white dots that you see on mature Aloe plants. I know that this plant is no more than 2 years old. When I got it, it was in a container about 2 in. in diameter. It is now in a pot that is about 5 in. in diameter and has about 6 buds. All of the buds are bumpy like the main plant. Can someone please tell me what kind of plant this is? I still think it's an aloe, but what kind? I read that there are over 250 kinds! Please help, I'm new to the forum and gardening!

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Tom,

Can you post a picture?

Newt

ShortTom007
Newly Registered

yes, but they're pretty poor quality. The first is of the whole plant, and the second is a close up of the leaf, but you might not be able to see anything worthwhile.
[img]https://img144.imageshack.us/img144/592/aloefull4rr.jpg[/img]
[img]https://img107.imageshack.us/img107/645/aloeleaf3km.jpg[/img]

ShortTom007
Newly Registered

I think that I have come to the conclusion that this might be Aloe humillis. I am not 100% positive, because the images that I saw were a little distorted and hard to tell. I am just guessing, but now I am certain that it isn't Aloe vera. Now, on to my next question. Even though this isn't Aloe vera, does it still posess the healing qualities for burns? If it does then I will be very pleased and won't care what type it is. Thank you for your help Newt!

Newt
Greener Thumb

Gosh Tom, you made me work for this one. Apparently different aloes contain different substances used for different purposes.

I hope that helps.
Newt

ShortTom007
Newly Registered

Thanks a lot newt. Thanks to you I've found out that my aloe DOES have some healing qualities. Oh, sure, it says that it's not as strong as Aloe Vera, but something's better than nothing. Thanks again for your help Newt, I couldn't have done it without you!

ShortTom007
Newly Registered

Thanks a lot newt. Thanks to you I've found out that my aloe DOES have some healing qualities. Oh, sure, it says that it's not as strong as Aloe Vera, but something's better than nothing. Thanks again for your help Newt, I couldn't have done it without you!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Howdy

I am almost certain this is a Haworthia attenuata; here's a info source...

[url]https://www.haworthia.info/[/url]

HG

ShortTom007
Newly Registered

Well, it wasn't the one that you said, but it turned out to be Haworthia fasciata. What I want to know is if it has the healing properties of an Aloe plant. I'm thinkin it probably doesn't since it isn't an Aloe plant. It is instead a Haworthia plant. Please help me, now that I know what it is! Thank you Helpful Gardener and Newt for your help, it's been fun tryin to learn about this plant!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

And I learn new stuff all the time as well; part of the fun of this all...

Newt
Greener Thumb

Scott, great site!! I enjoyed the tour.

Tom, I'm soooo behind answering questions at other forums that I'm afraid you're on your own with this one. I just don't have the time. Try searching google as well as other sites. I'll bet you find something.

Good luck,
Newt

ShortTom007
Newly Registered

well, thanx to both of u for the help. I'll try doin it myself now, but I couldn't have gotten started if it weren't for you! Thanks again, and I plan on coming back!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

We're always here for you Tom. Tell your friends... :)

Scott

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”