mommagibs
Newly Registered

Help! Aloe dilema

Hi, I purchased this aloe from a fundraiser at the local library, now I have no idea what to do with it!? Its quite tall and heavy. Having never owned an aloe before I'm wondering if I should remove some leaves from the bottom and repot it, if I should tether it to the stick already in the pot, if I should lop the top section off or just leave the plant as is?

Any help is more than welcome

Thanks
Attachments
13396903_10156963334695291_1849670218_o.jpg

baileysup
Green Thumb

You could certainly leave it be the way it is, but if it irks you, the top can be hacked off. It needs to be done a specific way, to ensure the best odds, that your aloe will survive though. I have been know in the past to cut the tops off aloes, and re-root them with great success. This is how I do it:

1. Cut the top off the aloe to desired length (preferably with something sterile)

2. Remove some bottom leaves, so a stem like part can be created to hold the aloe up in the soil.

3. (This is the most important step) Set the cutting somewhere cool, and without direct sunlight for a minimum of one week. This will allow the cut part to dry and callus properly. If not dried enough, the chances of it rotting when planted skyrocket.

4. Then just plant it in some well draining substrate, and keep it out of direct sunlight. Do NOT water yet.

5. After a minimum of one week being planted, you can give some water to settle everything.

6. After this, you can pretty much treat it like a normal plant, letting it dry out before watering. Just remember that dry soil encourages root growth, so you may want to water sparingly at first. That's what you need. Root growth.

I typically don't hack my aloes anymore, and just let them grow into little aloe trees, but sometimes it is called for. In your case, I would probably hack it, but your choice. Best of luck to you, and please keep us updated :)

baileysup
Green Thumb

baileysup wrote:
I typically don't hack my aloes anymore, and just let them grow into little aloe trees, but sometimes it is called for.

Like if they fall over, I will shorten them.

imafan26
Mod

I think the aloe was probably in low light. It is tall and leaning over. It should go gradually into more light. If you lop off the top, the bottom will resprout in time with many more offsets and the top and even the leaves can be planted to make more.

It is mostly water so it is very heavy. Mine are very old and I have to thin them out regularly.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”