Sarytta
Newly Registered

Growing lithops and other succulents from seed. Mold in soil

Hello everyone, it's my first time trying to grow lithops and some other succulents from seeds. So far I tried to do everything I found online, like sterilize the containers, bake the soil, use plastic bags...
I planted these on 06/02, kept it closed next to the window where it can get some bright light, but today when I checked on them, I found this mold. I'm freaking out! Am I going to lose everything?
And can I put them in this area? The sun never strikes there, but it can get hot during the day, around 80F-100F.0
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-06-05-08-19-24.png
Screenshot_2016-06-05-08-19-14.png

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

What type of soil did you use?

In my opinion, the problem is that the soil is too moist and at the same time it never gets any direct sunlight to dry out all the moisture.

How often do you water it?

Of you placed it in a sunnier location and watered it a tad less, I'm sure the problem would be solved.

Sarytta
Newly Registered

I thought direct sunlight was a no. So I kept them inside. I moisted the soil first until damp, then sprinkled the seeds on top, put inside a plastic bag and didn't open until today when I saw this mold. So, should I keep them out of plastic bags and in direct sunlight?
The soil I used was a cactus mix, that I got from a store.

Sarytta
Newly Registered

Just an update. I put them outside on a shaded spot. Opened the bags for a couple days and closed again. The mold is almost gone now. But I found out that some seeds are not lithops or even succulents. I was scammed, lol. Hopefully not all of them will be fake. Only one pot sprouted, I don't even know what that is, lol.
Attachments
IMG_20160610_085031.jpg

Spanishfly

Sarytta wrote:Just an update. I put them outside on a shaded spot. Opened the bags for a couple days and closed again. The mold is almost gone now. But I found out that some seeds are not lithops or even succulents. I was scammed, lol. Hopefully not all of them will be fake. Only one pot sprouted, I don't even know what that is, lol.
How do you know they are not lithops or even succulents? Do not expect the cotyledons that emerge from the seed to resemble the adult plant in any way. Look after them - keep them shaded until they start to resemble the adult then gradually introduce them to full sun.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”