Babu
Newly Registered

reviving my aloe plant

I have read the postings but would love to send my pictures of my aloe plant which has survived in spite of my black thumb. I live in an apt on Miami Beach. I would appreciate some help.
Thanks so much
Babu 8)

[img]https://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg30/Babu9_photos/DSCN1190.jpg[/img]

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I can't see your photo, can you provide us with some more information on what's wrong with your Aloe Plant?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Babu,

I took the liberty of fixing your link.
[img]https://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg30/Babu9_photos/DSCN1190.jpg[/img]

Your plant looks rather pale, as if it is not getting enough light. Can you give some more information on how you are keeping it? Inside/outside, what kind of exposure (how much light) your watering practices, fertilization, etc.

Norm

Babu
Newly Registered

Thanks to you who answered my plea.

When I got this cutting yeats ago I was told not to keep it in the sun, so I did not. It seemed to be doing alright, I gave it minimum water every so often but then forgot it for a long time and got these brown bases on each one.
I didn't know if I should trim anything or water it more. But now I have it on a sunny window sill. Is there anything else I can do? replant? trim?
Thank you so much. I love this site .
Babu :D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Babu,
Thanks to you who answered my plea.
You're welcome, that's what we're her for.
When I got this cutting yeats ago I was told not to keep it in the sun, so I did not. It seemed to be doing alright,
This plant will do better with full, or perhaps filtered, sun. Move it gradually so as not to cause any sun-burn damage.
I gave it minimum water every so often but then forgot it for a long time and got these brown bases on each one.
Even though it is a succulent minimal watering is not a good idea, if I understand you correctly. Instead water thoroughly, even excessively, but with less frequency. A little water often is the wrong approach for most plants and succulents are no exception.
I didn't know if I should trim anything
At the least peel back the lower dry leaves, as they serve no purpose now. If you want to be more aggressive then you have other options. The usual advice for dividing/propagating these plants is to remove any offsets/pups from the main plant and pot them up. This is workable but I have taken a different approach.

I prefer to leave the new plant-lets in place and remove the more mature portions close to the soil-line and treat them as big cuttings. In your case I would consider cutting the large stalks off, stripping the faded leaves, as described above, and rooting the big cuttings either as a group or individually.

Use a free draining mix that is often sold as cactus soil. I prefer to avoid dense, peat based potting soils for succulents. Allow the cuttings to air dry until the fresh cuts dry, this helps to avoid problems with root rot.

Norm

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”