Unknownshot
Newly Registered

Cactus or succulent?

Is this a cactus or a succulent? How big can it get? Is outside direct sun ok? Any advice is wanted. Thx
Attachments
IMG_20160415_175559.jpg

Killermommy

I would say cactus. Love heat and direct light as they grow in dry environments. So direct Sun is good. Do not over water as to much could harm it. Don't know how big it will get

Rue Barbie

Cactus and some Euphorbias look very much alike, having both succulence and thorns. This one appears to be a Euphorbia which is not related to cactus. Their flowers are completely different.

JimHardy
Newly Registered

Looks like E.Hermentiana/Euphorbia trigona

They do like full sun but would probably flourish in east exposure..

BTW All cactus are succulents but not all succulent are cacti.

Anyway,here is some info I came across....

Because of its cactus-like appearance, Euphorbia trigona is often mistaken for a cactus. However, there are reliable criteria by which Spurge (Euphorbia) can be distinguished from cacti. The spines comes from a horny shields whereas in cacti the spines come always from "areoles" (felted cushions). Paired spines, which are typical for (a large group of) euphorbias, never occur in cacti. Conversely, the typical cactus clump of spines is never seen in euphorbias.

baileysup
Green Thumb

That's a mighty fine specimen there. It's a fairly large size, and I'd be proud to own that one. Well done.

Spanishfly

JimHardy wrote:Looks like E.Hermentiana/Euphorbia trigona

They do like full sun but would probably flourish in east exposure..

BTW All cactus are succulents but not all succulent are cacti.

Anyway,here is some info I came across....

Because of its cactus-like appearance, Euphorbia trigona is often mistaken for a cactus. However, there are reliable criteria by which Spurge (Euphorbia) can be distinguished from cacti. The spines comes from a horny shields whereas in cacti the spines come always from "areoles" (felted cushions). Paired spines, which are typical for (a large group of) euphorbias, never occur in cacti. Conversely, the typical cactus clump of spines is never seen in euphorbias.

Not true that all cacti are succulents. Here is Pereskia aculeata growing up my garden wall. The only cactus genus with true, permanent leaves and not succulent. The presence of areoles shows it is a cactus.

enigmaticcurses1977

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a cactus a type of succulent?

Spanishfly

enigmaticcurses1977 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a cactus a type of succulent?
With respect, you appear to have taken no notice of what I wrote, but are simply reiterating the incorrect statement I was attempting to put right .

Succulence is defined as the presence of fleshy, water retaining tissue, which has evolved in many families of drought resistant plants.

The genus Pereskia is shown to be of the family Cactaceae by the presence of areoles which are exclusive to this plant family. But it is not succulent, instead having woody stems.
Last edited by Spanishfly on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

This is actually an interesting discussion -- forgive me I am COMPLETELY unknowledgeable about these kinds of plants. I imagine folks who post in this forum have more familiarity with these terms that are being discussed.

"Succulence" vs. "Succulents" are these just semantics or are they specific terms? I took "succulents"/"a succulent" to mean a type of plant -- a noun.

Earlier in Jim Hardy's post describing where/how the spines grow was interesting, too.

But areoles=felted cushions ....haha I'm already lost. What are felted cushions.

Spanishfly

applestar wrote: "Succulence" vs. "Succulents" are these just semantics or are they specific terms? I took "succulents"/"a succulent" to mean a type of plant -- a noun.

A succulent is a plant that possesses succulence - ie has fleshy water storage tissues.

Earlier in Jim Hardy's post describing where/how the spines grow was interesting, too.

But areoles=felted cushions ....haha I'm already lost. What are felted cushions.
Areoles - the small depressions where hair, spines and flowers (also offsets) appear on members of the family Cactaceae - just look at a cactus and they are obvious.

applestar
Mod

Thanks! I think I could picture that. So -- (but?) -- this plant which doesn't look like a cactus has areoles?
Spanishfly wrote:Image

Not true that all cacti are succulents. Here is Pereskia aculeata growing up my garden wall. The only cactus genus with true, permanent leaves and not succulent. The presence of areoles shows it is a cactus.

Spanishfly

Why not do a Google of Pereskia ?

applestar
Mod

I could. I just thought you might have had a picture handy -- I tend to take tons of photos whenever I see something interesting. :wink:

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”