lindseec
Newly Registered

Help! Aloe plant is out of control!

Hello helpful gardeners,

I'm one of those folks who love having plants around but admittedly, maybe isn't the best plant mommy.

My trusty aloe plant has managed to just keep going and going though–and is a bit out of control. It's stem has gotten really, really long and almost tree-like. It's been growing in a window sill for the past few years and I'm afraid has totally contorted, too top heavy to support itself without learning on the window sill.

Can I chop it closer to the bottom leaves, let it sit then repot, or should I move it to a bigger pot where she can keep her roots? Thanks much! Please go easy on me!!
Attachments
image1.JPG

applestar
Mod

Wow it looks healthy -- maybe a little elongated along the stems so brighter light -- despite the leggy appearance.

Someone else with more experience could tell you if cutting and rooting is easy enough, but the idea I had was to plant in a long windowbox layering sideways (bury the stem up to the bottom of the leaves). Then wait until roots grow along the trunk and below the rosette before truncating.

spacegirl

Aloe Vera plants can often become leggy as they get older but sometimes it is because they aren't getting enough light. Is it the actual pot that falls over or just the top of the plant?
If the pot falls over you need to repot but only attempt this in the springtime as it might shock the plant in the winter.
You may also have the problem that it is uprooting itself from the soil because of the weight, again you'll need to repot.

I know some people say you can bury the bare stalk with soil but I'm not sure about this sorry.
Ooh also is the legginess just because of some rapid growth/light or are you removing some of the leaves to use the gel? Because if you are using the leaves (which is totally fine) you could try not taking quite so many???
Sorry this was so long but I hoped I helped at least a little bit!

spacegirl

Also you could try holding it up with a bamboo stick. I usually do this with my plants that need support however that aloe Vera looks quite heavy. I'm sorry I couldn't help with the cutting it but I hope someone more knowledgeable will be able to help you.

lindseec
Newly Registered

spacegirl wrote:Aloe Vera plants can often become leggy as they get older but sometimes it is because they aren't getting enough light. Is it the actual pot that falls over or just the top of the plant?
If the pot falls over you need to repot but only attempt this in the springtime as it might shock the plant in the winter.
You may also have the problem that it is uprooting itself from the soil because of the weight, again you'll need to repot.
Thanks for the reply! To answer your question, the entire pot topples over without support. It's plastic, and since I'm not watering it often it flops right over. The good news is she has the best seat in the house- right on our windowsill, where the vertical edge supports her.

More than anything, I'm relieve that it's growing somewhat "normally" for aloe. All the photos I had found by googling "large aloe plant" looked so manicured–and much shorter!

lindseec
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:Someone else with more experience could tell you if cutting and rooting is easy enough, but the idea I had was to plant in a long windowbox layering sideways (bury the stem up to the bottom of the leaves). Then wait until roots grow along the trunk and below the rosette before truncating.
I like this sideways idea! Unfortunately it's one of my only windows that gets enough natural light to grow anything, so the aloe plant has lots of other succulent friends. I guess I could try to put them all together in one box, but I don't want to shock them by doing it in winter.

I'm already learning so much, thank you all!

imafan26
Mod

You can root a leaf. Make sure the leaf calluses off first then plant it. the leaf will shrivel but feed the plantlet that will grow from the base.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Cut off the stalk and repot-it will root. The remaining stump will make babies near the base. This will not happen quickly. Aloes need a lot of light-though not direct sun.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”