yardling
Newly Registered

Spots on my succulents

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays! A few of my succulents are starting to show spots - can someone tell me what these may be from? Seemed to coincide with cold weather (even starting to get a bit of frost here). Thanks!
Attachments
Succulent spots
Succulent spots

Asica

Hi Neighboor,
If you are like me living in LA we had some rain recently, and I have notice that my succulents got some spots, especially those with that fuzzy not smooth skin. I try to water them directly onto soil and not getting the leaves wet because of it. Plus, we are having some very cold days which with rain probably cause those leaves to get the spots. At least that is my observation. Hope this helps.

yardling
Newly Registered

We have had rain recently also so perhaps that explains it. I'm wondering if my soil is too wet and may re-pot one to check (I just used potting soil and am reading that I may need to amend this for better drainage). I pretty much just bought and planted/ potted all of my succulents with no particular knowledge about them and they have done beautifully up to this point but perhaps their ability to tolerate my ignorance only goes so far :). Thanks for the input!

imafan26
Mod

It looks like a bacterial or fungal infection from too much rain. Most of the time if the stem is not soft it will survive but the damaged leaves don't look any better. In the rainy season sometimes you have to bring plants that cannot take a lot of water under cover to prevent them from rotting or keeping the very absorbant leaves from staying wet too long.

applestar
Mod

Depending on the potting mix, you will need to blend with 1/4 to 1/3 builders sand, pumice gravel, aquarium sand, etc.

I think maybe they were OK while the weather was dry, but with rain, the potting mix is holding too much moisture.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”