KTMay

I need help to save my aloe with root rot!

My poor aloe:( I over watered him and now his roots are pretty much useless. I have separated the pups (which now are also rootless) and planted both in separate pots in cactus soil.
I have not yet removed the rot from the mother as I was hoping for advice for the best way to do it to keep it alive.

I heard that in order to re root aloe, I should place it in 100% perlite. What's your thoughts on that??

Here are pics of the pups;
aloe-1.jpg
aloe-1.jpg (20.86 KiB) Viewed 4632 times
And here is the rotted roots of the mother plant;
aloe-2.jpg
What should I do??
Completely remove all diseased/rotting parts and let it sit in perlite to re root?
Is rooting hormone necessary? ?

Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks everyone

KTMay

I think I also need advice as to how to upload photos.. I used the Dropbox url in the "img" thing, but that doesn't seem to work..

webmaster
Site Admin

Hi,
Dropbox is not sharing friendly are they? I downloaded the photos and uploaded them to your post for you. :)

It's pretty easy to do. Here are instuctions for how to upload photos so that you can do it yourself here or at any other site:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =23&t=3724

;)

Roger

imafan26
Mod

Aloe can be rooted from leaf cuttings. When you cut off the mama root , the leaves may fall apart. This is important, allow the ends to callus off before you plant it. It doesn't like to have a fresh wound covered immediately. It will not take long for the end to dry a few days.. It should not be sticky or wet but sort of white and dry. Perlite or cactus mix is a good rooting media. Make sure the media is wet before you put the cuttings in. You may see the top continue to yellow and shrivel as the plant is going to use the reserves in theleaves for food. If it survives it should show new growth in about 6 weeks. I tend to over water everything especially succulents so I like to grow them in terra cotta pots that breathe. Actually mine are in the ground but they are very big and I have to cull the patch a couple of times a year.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”