Asica

Mulch and succulents

I heard before that mulching succulents is not recommended. Does any of you tried it? I have a lot of succulents in ground and pots. Most of them are doing very well, but I have few that are not thriving for one reason or the other. For example, I have Angelina growing beautiful in pot, but the one in a ground does poorly. I was thinking about adding some fertilizer or maybe covering the area with mulch. What do you think? Or maybe I should find little bit more shady spot for Angelina?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

What are the conditions of the area where the plant in the ground is growing? What is the soil like? How much rain does it get? Does it get walked on? How much light does it get?

Asica

The area is in a full sun. The soil is mostly clay but I put perlite and peat moss when I plant. We get very little rain, only in Winter if we are lucky. I water with sprinkles but not to often since most of my plants do not need it. Nobody walks on that area.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

It's the soil. They don't do well in clay. Perlite and peat don't help it much. You could mix in some sand but it would take a lot of sand to get the clay broken up. It would be easier to find a better spot for the plants.

Asica

Thank you for replie. That will explain why the plant does well in a pot.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”