summer55488
Newly Registered

Jade Branches Falling Off

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum or any forum for that matter. I'm also new in gardening, so please bare with my gardening lingo.

I recently hard pruned my jade plant. It looks like its thriving from the pruning, and new leaves are budding out. However, I noticed that some of the branches with the new leaves started to have a cut on the branch. The cut starts to shrivel, and it eventually falls off with the new leaves. Then, the other part of the branch looks like I just pruned it again.

Please help. I don't know why it's doing that. I'm afraid that the branch will get shorter and shorter. Is the plant dying? It doesn't look like it. Thank you in advance for any advice.

I apologize if the pictures not rotated correctly.
JADE1.jpg
JADE2.JPG
JADE3.JPG
JADE4.jpg

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

One thing I notice is that it looks like the plant prunings are not to the node. Pruning to the node is recommended. Not sure if that's what causes your issues but something to consider.

imafan26
Mod

Those look like nodes that are rotting. I would cut off below those areas. When the jade is handled you can crack the branches and sometimes rot will set in. It is usually at the weaker points. Make sure your tools are clean and that you don't wet the cut ends so they have a chance to dry and callous off properly.

summer55488
Newly Registered

Thank you @birdlover and @imafan26 for taking the time to respond to my question. I appreciate the advice. Have a great Sunday!

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Yes, clean pruning shears are important. Sterilized is even better, to prevent transferring bacteria, which can potentially adversely affect a weak plant.

Pruning too many healthy branches at once can also weaken a plant. That looks like too many healthy branches may have been cut back at once when the pruning took place.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”