lakesRus84

HEART BROKEN! HOYA CARNOSA = NOT WELL! ADVICE please!!!

:( So I climbed up the counter tops today, to have a good look at my normally very healthy, vibrant, fast growing Hoya Carnosa house plant, and much to my dismay, I noticed right away, that a few things weren't right about her..... I noticed that some of the younger leaves, located on stems which are growing closest to the base of the plant, are not only weak, soft, deformed, and dropping at the slightest little touch, but they also have some sort of silvery/greyish colored, irregular, blotchy, patches scattered about those leaves which are misshapen (unusually long and slender), soft, discolored, and dropping... Its definitely NOT hard water spots. I know exactly what that looks like, because all my hoyas have it... I hate to say it, but this issue here, shows all the signs of a disease of some sort... If you'll notice in the photos, the young, lower foliage, is looking strong, shiny, healthy, and relatively blemish free (besides the bright white hard water spots)... However these areas of foliage near the base of the plant, are suffering from something... I don't know if this could be related in any way, but ill mention it, because it IS the only thing I've done differently with the plant, since the last time I examined her, and found no concerns: For the sake of decor, I placed the plastic pot that the plant grows in, inside a prettier clay, cache pot, which has aa large hole in the bottom, so it does not hold water in that way. However, the plant and plastic pot fit very snuggly into the ceramic pot, so I wondered if this could have maybe caused some sort of air flow problem or something, which may have led to a moisture caused fungal disease?
Either way, regardless of what this disease/issue is, I'm desperate for some pointers as to how I should go about healing the plant... I'm a relatively new indoor gardener, so this sort of issue isnt something I've had any experience with yet... Should I completely cut/remove all areas that show signs of invasion by this strange & unidentified health issue? Should I purchase some kind of spray? Is Neem oil known to address matters of this nature by any chance, because I do have some on hand? What kind of special treatment regimen should I put into play, to hopefully bring my beautiful lady back to her usual vigor & sturdy health? And of course... above all else... KEEP HER FROM DYING!? The plant is still growing in the weird powdery (almost like coffee grounds), soil, that the box store sold it to me in... Some kind of crumbly peat maybe? I'm not sure what it is really, but is it possible that the growing medium may be infected and/or bad in some way too? If I should be gearing up to repot, please advise.....
Any and all recommendations and shared knowledge will be greatly appreciated! I really do love, love, love, love, LOVE this plant... And of course she's one of the very few plants I've paid more than just a few dollars for too.... I'm invested! Heart, soul, time, and resources!
Thanks in advance for your help!

**Erika**

NOTE: I will attempt to post more photos in a comment, after I submit the actual post & pics that are hopefully gonna go thru, along with it... for some reason I'm getting an error message from the helpful gardener website, when I try and upload the attachments, saying: "Could not complete your request, due to low memory"... Low memory? In a discussion forum? The error message is from the website itself, not my phone. And my phone itself has an abundance of storage anyways... Very odd... Ill do my best tho!
Attachments
IMG_20150911_111159.jpg
IMG_20150911_111136.jpg
IMG_20150911_111146.jpg

lakesRus84

Ugh! I can't seem to upload anymore pictures... The close ups are so necessary too, since they tell so much about the issue I'm sure! Grrrrr

lakesRus84

Here we go! Normal, healthy, average looking foliage VS. the yucky looking/feeling, problem foliage......
Attachments
IMG_20150911_120649.jpg
IMG_20150911_120718.jpg
IMG_20150911_120628.jpg

imafan26
Mod

I. am thinking bugs. Thrips or mites. You have some leaf pukering so something is sucking on the leaf. What does the underside of the leaf look like?

At this time of the year mites are the most likely culprits they like hot weather and float in on dust.

Wipe the dust off the leaves.

If you have mites you might see webbing on the bottom of the leaves or bronzing if they are red spider mites. You need a magnifying glass to see the pest. In the cool part of the day you can spray the leaves, top and bottom with horticultural oil to smother them. Keep the plant out of direct sunlight for the day. You may have to repeat at weekly intervals. The damaged leaves won't get better but the new leaves should come out ok. Make sure the plant is as healthy as you can make it with good soil, fertilizer, and adequate water.

lakesRus84

Well, upon further investigation, based on the tips you gave, I have unfortunately confirmed that you are in fact %100 correct. My plant has bugs. Next up: Identifying the bugs..... I used my phones magnifying glass, and found them to be a slow moving, yellowish/tannish/maybe a little greenish pest, which is shaped like a teeny tiny grain of rice, pretty much. I can see that it has like a little brown dot, on its front and/or back ends. It's not a mite. Almost appears as if it doesnt even have pegs, although I'm sure it does.. Very tiny ones... So maybe I'm looking at aphids or thrips? I googled around, searching for a solid confirmation, but didn't quite get there.... If I know for sure what the insect is, I can begin trying out some de-pestifying methods... I'm very disappointed about this, to say the least.... Just hoping I can eradicate the nasty buggers and continue on, without too much trouble and/or lost plants... :/ And P.S. the undersides of the leaves don't look a whole lot different the tops... You can see through the leaf, enough to see the spotting, on the ones that are affected, and the ones that don't appear infested yet, look at they should underneath.... Something I also noticed, with the magnifying glass, is a lot of teeny tiny little blacks specs, around the areas where I spot the pests.. which are also the same areas where the blotchy pastchy stuff is showing up most as well..... HOPE THIS HELPS? ARE WE GETTING CLOSER?

lakesRus84

Oh, and considering this discovery, along with the fact that the plant is still growing in the "coffee grounds" potting medium it came from the box store in, should I be gearing up to repot this guy??? I can prepare a good hoya mix, and give it a whirl if its necessary, considering the circumstances...

imafan26
Mod

Making sure the plant is in good media with fertilizer and adequate water will make the plant stonger to weather the attack from the bugs. The black specks sound like frass. Horticultural oil will work on them too. The oil smothers them. When you take your plant down to repot hose off the leaves well top and bottom and wipe the leaves with a sponge and soapy water 1 tsp dish soap per gallon. You don't need a lot of suds. Rinse it off well with water afterwards.

If they are yellowish and they are moving, they sound like aphids.
There are pictures in the link of aphids mealy bugs and spider mites. Bayer tree and shrub is a systemic and unless your hoya is out of reach, I would rather first try the neem or insecticidal soap. Aphids are not that hard to kill. Make sure you put out ant bait to control the ants. Ants will bring aphids back to the plant to farm them.

https://vermonthoyascom.fatcow.com/culti ... st-contol/

lakesRus84

Thanks so much for the helpful tips.... I'm still not totally sure whether it's Thrips or aphids, they look so much alike, and the real life bugs on my plant are so darn, stinkin tiny, I'm just unsure... But it sounds like the process for control (or HOPEFULLY eradication), is the same either way.... Should I remove the badly damaged parts of the plant? And should I rinse off the roots of the plant too, once I have it pulled up for repotting? Like gently? Or is that a bad idea? I'm out of perlite, and I loooooove my perlite, so I can't get the job done til tomorrow... For now, she's quarantined, and I'm watching the rest of my plants very carefully.... I have alot... Maybe 40-50 houseplants total, counting the little starter plants.. I'm obsessed with making more plants, from plants I already have... There's no real purpose for it.. I don't know many people who want houseplants, I just like doing it... Lol! Thanks again for your help....

imafan26
Mod

It is a good idea to isolate plants to keep the bugs from spreading and to sanitize around the area they have been. I don't like to bother hoya roots, they are easy to break. Mine was in a pot so long that is was a solid mass in the center so I just loosened the other roots so they would go out into the media. If the roots look healthy, I don't like to mess with them much.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”