lakesRus84

Anyone know what this is? (Succulent)

I was informed by a cashier at the nursery, that this was an aloe plant.... of sorts... no specifics though unfortunately..... Notice in the photo, that this plant actually grows quite a woody little "trunk" for an aloe plant.... I've never seen it quite like that before, but was thinking maybe this is just the plants "neck"... it's very long neck.... the plant grows upright, as you see in the photo..... Sooooo, what is this? Any super succulent smarties out there, with some ideas as to what this lil fella might be called? He's quite lovely, I must say! I walked by him several times, week after week, before I finally decided that I was meant to be his Momma... ;) He was the only one they ever had as far ad I know (I go weekly!). This season anyways! So that's about a wrap... just been tryna I.D. the lil bugger and can't seem to get anywhere! Thank you!!! Even if ya don't have the answer! :) -Erika
Attachments
IMG_20150701_225904_437.jpg

lakesRus84

Oh, and I should add: it doesn't look like any of the aloe "brevafolia's" (sp?) that I've seen... I did a little Google images hunt on them, but nope..... don't believe that's what I've got here.... in case that was anyone else's first guess too! :)

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

That IS a young "Aloe barbadensis" - aka your basic Aloe Vera.

Allyn
Green Thumb

GardeningCook wrote:That IS a young "Aloe barbadensis" - aka your basic Aloe Vera.

That kinda surprises me. My aloe vera looks like this one:
Which looks different than the pic Erika posted.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Her's is an older plant that has been in a smaller pot longer than it should have been. Also why it's exhibiting a "woody" stalk.

Do a pic websearch on Aloes. You'll come across quite a few that are exactly the like OP's plant.

lakesRus84

So there are multiple/different looking species, of aloe "vera"? I have bundles and bundles of the aloe "vera" like Allyn posted, which we use for wounds & burns & such, so of course I knew of that particular/traditional species... but I really had no idea that there were different kinds of aloe "vera"... I thought aloe "vera", was just aloe "vera" (as in: like the one Allyn posted)..... how peculiar! Also, just in case, I will try and post another picture of my plant, from another angle, now that its daylight, to make sure the photo isn't misleading as to what it looks like... cuz that boggles my mind! Am I understanding u correctly? There's more than 1 kind of aloe "vera"??

lakesRus84

Here is another photo of this plant, in better lighting. As you can see, it has an entirely different form, shape, and growth habit altogether, then the aloe "vera" sitting next to it. This plant grows upward, in a stacking formation, where the other aloe grows from the center, and out.... So are you saying you believe there are multiple different species under the one name "aloe vera"? Or maybe the poor quality & bad lighting in the first photo were misleading as to what the plant looked like? Now THAT I wouldn't be surprised about... lol! Multiple aloe vera species tho? That one will throw me for a loop! :eek:
Attachments
1435935141530-789867740.jpg
1435935057538530752547.jpg
1435934976576-577323795.jpg

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I still vote for an Aloe Vera. Take a gander at a few of these pics:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Aloe+Vera+pics&ia=images

Allyn
Green Thumb

Some of those pictures labeled aloe vera look more like aloe aristata. This is a learning experience for me. Could it be aloe aristata instead of aloe vera?

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Nah - Aloe aristata has more exterior protuberances over all exterior surfaces than Aloe vera.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”