cheymcb
Newly Registered

Help me Identify this plant

Hi,
I got this plant when my Aunt passed away. It was given to me by a relative, so it had not been cared for for some time. I was wondering if anyone could identify this plant for me, and if anyone knows if I can propagate it? Use the cutting?
Thanks, it would be so appreciated! Obviously I really really want to keep this plant alive.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg

catgrass
Green Thumb

Donkey Tail?

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Cheymbc - welcome to the forum.

DITTO Catgrass - it does look like Donkey Tail. It IS a succulent. Exactly which one is less important than how it is cared for.

It looks like the parent plant is dead. All you have left are 2 little cluster of viable plant material.

You first need to select an appropriate vessel. It MUST have good drainage. Shallow bowls (with drainage) are very attractive vessels for succulents and cacti.

You next issue is growing medium. Go to your big box store and invest in a bag of Cactus Mix.

Prepare you bowl/pot with the mix. Gently remove the 2 cluster from the parent plant. Do not panic if some of the leaves fall off. Make a very shallow indention (Not a hole) in the surface of the planting mix and set you little plants in the indention. If some of the leaves fell off just set them on top of the mix.

Water gently. How much depends on the size of the container. No more than 1 cup of water.

Succulents and cacti will "talk" to you. When the leaves start to get thin - not as plump as they are now - they need little drink of water.

Finally you need to give your plant a good growing environment. IDK where you live. In south Louisiana we get so much rain that my succulents and cacti are housed under the covered patio. My friend in west Texas has very hot, dry summers. She has her succulents and cacti outside around the edge of her pool deck. I leave mine out year round. She has to move hers under her carport over winter.

So - you need a well drained vessel, Cactus Mix, minimal water and the correct environment.

Good luck

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”